Sort articles by: Date | Most Rates | Most Views | Comments | Alphabet
Article information
  • Views: 1596
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:41
27-02-2015, 15:41

Şurdeşti, The Church with the Immense Tower

Category: History / Maramureș / Şurdeşti

Şurdeşti, The Church with the Immense TowerThe Greek Catholic Church in Şurdeşti is one of the most spectacular structures. This place of worship has a huge tower, made of oak, 54 metres high, when calculated from the ceiling height of the narthex above which it was built. In total, from the foundation and to the top of the tower, the total height is 72 metres. This Maramureş church, dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, is among the highest sacred buildings in the world. The Church in Şurdeşti was built on the former site of a place of worship destroyed during the Tartar invasion in the year 1717. Its artisan was the renowned master builder John Macarius, who dared to raise its gigantic tower. According to some sources, the church was built in 1721 and according to others in 1766.
Article information
  • Views: 1993
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:36
27-02-2015, 15:36

The Church of Rogoz, The Pride of Lăpușului Country

Category: History / Transylvania / Rogoz

The Church of Rogoz, The Pride of Lăpușului CountryThe Church of Rogoz is one of the most beautiful expressions of art from the Maramureş area known as Lăpușului. It has as patrons the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. This place of worship was erected in 1663 on the site of an older church, destroyed during the invasion of the Turks and Tatars in 1661 against the Prince of Transylvania, George II Rákóczi, after his unsuccessful attempt to become King of Poland. This church is very rare among wooden churches. The narthex has a polygonal shape, with access from the south nave which is rectangular, and the altar is also in the form of a polygon with seven sides.
Article information
  • Views: 1852
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:32
27-02-2015, 15:32

The legend of the Crescent Church in Poienile Izei

Category: History / Maramureș / Poienile Izei

The legend of the Crescent Church in Poienile IzeiThere is a local legend about the wooden church in Poienile Izei due to the presence of a metal crescent under the crucifix that crowns the tower of the church. The legend says that the crescent was added by one of the locals to keep the church from being desecrated by the Turkish and Tatar Muslims. The legend was reinforced by the fact that during the Tatar invasion in 1717, the church in Poienile Izei was one of the few that escaped undamaged. But in reality the crescent moon that generated this legend is not a Muslim symbol, but Byzantine.
Article information
  • Views: 1695
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:28
27-02-2015, 15:28

The Church of Plopiş, a Real Architectural Gem of Maramureş Design

Category: History / Maramureș / Plopiş

The Church of Plopiş, a Real Architectural Gem of Maramureş DesignThe church in Plopiş was built later than the other Maramureş churces on UNESCO's list. It also has more modest dimensions, because the village that raised this place of worship only numbered 200 souls at the time of the foundation. However, this oak-built church, dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, has several features that bestow upon it the look of a true architectural gem. Although the mural painting has only been preserved in fragments, there are remarkable exterior decorations carved meticulously in wood by the local people who were famous sculptors of dowry chests.
Article information
  • Views: 2166
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:23
27-02-2015, 15:23

Budeşti , "The Wooden Cathedral"

Category: History / Maramureș / Budeşti

Budeşti , "The Wooden Cathedral"The Church of Budeşti, Josani is a magnificent example of the Greek Catholic cultural synthesis in Maramureş. The place of worship blends Eastern and Western traditions in perfect harmony. Basically, it is the largest wooden church in the UNESCO patrimony. The church was built in 1643, on a hill that dominates the village. The settlement was attested in 1361, when it was part of a Romanian Principality, attested in a diploma issued by King Louis of Anjou. The prosperity enjoyed by the locals allowed them to finance this particularly impressive construction. The length of the church is 18 meters, 8 meters wide, while the height of the tower is 26 meters.
Article information
  • Views: 1379
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:15
27-02-2015, 15:15

Bârsana - the power of the Greek Catholic Cultural Synthesis

Category: History / Maramureș / Bârsana

Bârsana - the power of the Greek Catholic Cultural SynthesisThe wooden church in the village of Bârsana is a sublime expression of a Greek and Catholic cultural synthesis. This place of worship was built after the Union of the Romanian Church in Transylvania and Maramureş with the Church of Rome and marks the opening of this Byzantine spiritual space to the influence of the West. The church was built in 1711 and it is dedicated to "The Entrance of Virgin Mary in the Church." Initially, it served as a place of worship for a monastic resort built in the area, also known as the Monk's hair. The founder was the nobleman John Ştefanca and his sons, who wanted thus to thank the Creator for having them insulated from the great plague of 1710.
Article information
  • Views: 831
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 4-02-2015, 19:59
4-02-2015, 19:59

The Church of Ieud, the Ultimate Expression of the Creative Genius of Maramureş

Category: History / Maramureș / Ieud

The Church of Ieud, the Ultimate Expression of the Creative Genius of MaramureşThe wooden church of Ieud Deal is a masterpiece in itself. The Church is the most representative example of the value of Alexander Ponehalschi’s painting. The church was founded by nobles from the local family of Balea who had to climb the ladder of Maramureş’ aristocracy. The Greek Catholic Church of Ieud has an austere exterior appearance, which is toned down on the inside thanks to the refined sculpture of the consoles, as well as the bright colours of the mural. Since 1900, John Mihaly of Apşa included the church in Ieud among the most beautiful churches in Maramureş.
Article information
  • Views: 1153
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 4-02-2015, 19:54
4-02-2015, 19:54

The River of Fire in the church of Deseşti

Category: History / Maramureș / Deseşti

The River of Fire in the church of Deseşti
The Deseşti Church is representative for the eighteenth century Maramures architecture. The manner in which the remarkable mural and the iconostasis were made is post-Byzantine. There are several controversies on the exact dating of the church. Tit Bud dated it in 1770 and Alexander Baboş in 1780, when the inscriptions discovered by historians attested to the painting of this place of worship. The paintings cover all three classic rooms: the altar, the nave and the narthex. The inscription states that the painting of the church was paid for by the Boyars of the village.
^