Sort articles by: Date | Most Rates | Most Views | Comments | Alphabet
Article information
  • Views: 2231
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:36
27-02-2015, 15:36

The Church of Rogoz, The Pride of Lăpușului Country

Category: History / Transylvania / Rogoz

The Church of Rogoz, The Pride of Lăpușului CountryThe Church of Rogoz is one of the most beautiful expressions of art from the Maramureş area known as Lăpușului. It has as patrons the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. This place of worship was erected in 1663 on the site of an older church, destroyed during the invasion of the Turks and Tatars in 1661 against the Prince of Transylvania, George II Rákóczi, after his unsuccessful attempt to become King of Poland. This church is very rare among wooden churches. The narthex has a polygonal shape, with access from the south nave which is rectangular, and the altar is also in the form of a polygon with seven sides.
Article information
  • Views: 1682
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:11
27-02-2015, 15:11

Piatra Roșie –The Fortress which Stubled the Celtic Rampage

Category: History / Transylvania / Piatra Roşie

Piatra Roșie –The Fortress which Stubled the Celtic RampageOne of Antiquity’s strongest fortresses in this part of Europe is Piatra Roşie. It is a fortress which comprises two joined enclosures. The oldest was built in the time of King Burebista to stop the rampage of the Celts, and the second enclosure was added in the time of Decebalus, in the context of the Roman offensive for the conquest of Dacia. The two enclosures measure an area of approximately 1.2 hectares. The first enclosure is built on a rocky peak, at an altitude of 832 metres. The peak is surrounded on three sides by inaccessible abysses. Access is only possible from the east.
Article information
  • Views: 1325
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:04
27-02-2015, 15:04

Căpâlna, a Dacian Fortress About to Be Rebuilt

Category: History / Transylvania / Căpâlna

Căpâlna, a Dacian Fortress About to Be RebuiltThe Dacian fortress of Căpâlna poses one of the greatest challenges for Romanian restorers. The fortress, part of UNESCO’s heritage, is going to be rebuilt, thanks to a five million Euros project, financed by the European Union. The Dacian fortress walls will be restored two millennia after they were destroyed by the Roman army. Local authorities promise that these walls will be entirely rebuilt. Also, the land on which the old fortification stands will be strengthened.
Article information
  • Views: 1823
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:51
27-02-2015, 14:51

The Costeşti - Blidaru: Dacia’s Strongest Fortification

Category: History / Transylvania / Costeşti-Blidaru

The Costeşti - Blidaru: Dacia’s Strongest FortificationThe south of Transylvania is home to the strongest fortification across the kingdom of Dacia. Most likely, the fortress was built in two successive stages during the reign of Burebista and Decebalus, to serve first as a defense against the Celts, then against the Romans. First, a tower-house was built on the hill, at the altitude of 705 meters, by one of the local aristocrats, before the reign of Burebista. This king ruled between 82 and 44 BC and was assassinated in the same year as his great rival, Julius Caesar.
Article information
  • Views: 815
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:37
27-02-2015, 14:37

Valea Viilor or the Treasure of Saint Peter

Category: History / Transylvania / Valea Viilor

Valea Viilor or the Treasure of Saint PeterA remote village lost among the sunny hills of southern Transylvania hides a real treasure. It is the church of St. Peter in the village of Valea Viilor (Vine Valley). The story of the village begins in 1263, when the settlement was first documented. The village, colonized by Transylvanian Saxons, gathered serfs and peasants, subjects of the nobleman Apafi, who in 1305 left the village heritage to his son, Gregor. In the fourteenth century, Valea Viilor was a thriving community that decided to demolish the old Romanesque church, built by the early settlers, and instead build a new church in the Gothic style, dedicated to St. Peter.
Article information
  • Views: 1262
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:28
27-02-2015, 14:28

Viscri – The White Church of Prince Charles of Great Britain

Category: History / Transylvania / Viscri

Viscri – The White Church of Prince Charles of Great BritainThe Viscri village in Braşov County has a touching story. The village founded by the Saxons in the Middle Ages almost became a ghost town under the rule of communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Fortunately, the village was revived due to the help of His Royal Highness, Prince Charles of Wales, heir to the Crown of the United Kingdom.
Article information
  • Views: 857
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:19
27-02-2015, 14:19

Prejmer, the Fortress-Church of the Teutonic Knights

Category: History / Transylvania / Prejmer

Prejmer, the Fortress-Church of the Teutonic KnightsPrejmer is one of the few fortifications established by the Teutonic Knights, a crusading order, founded in the Holy Land, in the city of Accra, at the end of the twelfth century. In 1212, following the expulsion of the Crusaders from the Middle East, as a result of the Muslim conquest of the Holy Land, the Teutonic Knights were invited by King Andrew II of Hungary to take possession of the Bârsa Land, in south-east of Transylvania, and fight the Cuman and Mongol pagans.
Article information
  • Views: 2239
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 13:52
27-02-2015, 13:52

Dârjiu, the Only UNESCO Monument that Feeds its Inhabitants

Category: History / Transylvania / Dârjiu

Dârjiu, the Only UNESCO Monument that Feeds its InhabitantsIncluded in 1999, the church of Dârjiu is the only fortified Székely church on UNESCO’s world heritage list. The church was built after a Saxon model at the end of the thirteenth century. This stone church was provided with battlements and guard roads, which allowed the locals to fight the Tatar and Cuman invaders. The village of Dârjiu was first mentioned in a papal document issued in 1334.
Article information
  • Views: 1282
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 13:45
27-02-2015, 13:45

Câlnic - from Noble Citadel to Fortress-Church

Category: History / Transylvania / Câlnic

Câlnic - from Noble Citadel to Fortress-ChurchCâlnic is one of the most interesting fortress-churches in southern Transylvania. It is one of several fortifications established here by the Saxons. The citadel was first mentioned in a document in the year 1267. More precisely, when one of greavii, a leader of the Saxon community, Chyl of Kelling, began the construction of a keep that would also serve as a tower-house. The keep was completed in 1272. The building, enlarged and strengthened, still stands today, and is known as the Siegfried Tower. The church of the village was built next to this medieval tower. Initially, the church was Roman Catholic, then Evangelical-Lutheran, serving both the noble Greava family of Kelling, as well as the community.
Article information
  • Views: 1136
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 13:32
27-02-2015, 13:32

Sighișoara, Dracula’s Medieval Citadel

Category: History / Transylvania / Sighişoara

Sighișoara, Dracula’s Medieval CitadelSighişoara, the best preserved medieval citadel in Transylvania, is the place where the historical character Vlad Tepeş was born, the one who inspired the most famous vampire story in the world, Dracula. Sighişoara is a beautiful place with an incredibly romantic vibe. The medieval fortress withstood fires and sieges, waves of plague, including cholera, Tatars and Turkish assaults. The old Saxon city was and still is a real historical gem, because little has changed over the centuries. Sighişoara is important not only for its military history, culture and the arts, but also for viticulture. Here was discovered for the first time in the interwar period, the most famous variety of Romanian grape-vines, Fetească Regală, from which the best Romanian white wine is produced.
Previous Next
^