Sort articles by: Date | Most Rates | Most Views | Comments | Alphabet
Article information
  • Views: 2238
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:23
27-02-2015, 15:23

Budeşti , "The Wooden Cathedral"

Category: History / Maramureș / Budeşti

Budeşti , "The Wooden Cathedral"The Church of Budeşti, Josani is a magnificent example of the Greek Catholic cultural synthesis in Maramureş. The place of worship blends Eastern and Western traditions in perfect harmony. Basically, it is the largest wooden church in the UNESCO patrimony. The church was built in 1643, on a hill that dominates the village. The settlement was attested in 1361, when it was part of a Romanian Principality, attested in a diploma issued by King Louis of Anjou. The prosperity enjoyed by the locals allowed them to finance this particularly impressive construction. The length of the church is 18 meters, 8 meters wide, while the height of the tower is 26 meters.
Article information
  • Views: 1426
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:15
27-02-2015, 15:15

Bârsana - the power of the Greek Catholic Cultural Synthesis

Category: History / Maramureș / Bârsana

Bârsana - the power of the Greek Catholic Cultural SynthesisThe wooden church in the village of Bârsana is a sublime expression of a Greek and Catholic cultural synthesis. This place of worship was built after the Union of the Romanian Church in Transylvania and Maramureş with the Church of Rome and marks the opening of this Byzantine spiritual space to the influence of the West. The church was built in 1711 and it is dedicated to "The Entrance of Virgin Mary in the Church." Initially, it served as a place of worship for a monastic resort built in the area, also known as the Monk's hair. The founder was the nobleman John Ştefanca and his sons, who wanted thus to thank the Creator for having them insulated from the great plague of 1710.
Article information
  • Views: 1587
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:11
27-02-2015, 15:11

Piatra Roșie –The Fortress which Stubled the Celtic Rampage

Category: History / Transylvania / Piatra Roşie

Piatra Roșie –The Fortress which Stubled the Celtic RampageOne of Antiquity’s strongest fortresses in this part of Europe is Piatra Roşie. It is a fortress which comprises two joined enclosures. The oldest was built in the time of King Burebista to stop the rampage of the Celts, and the second enclosure was added in the time of Decebalus, in the context of the Roman offensive for the conquest of Dacia. The two enclosures measure an area of approximately 1.2 hectares. The first enclosure is built on a rocky peak, at an altitude of 832 metres. The peak is surrounded on three sides by inaccessible abysses. Access is only possible from the east.
Article information
  • Views: 1218
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 15:04
27-02-2015, 15:04

Căpâlna, a Dacian Fortress About to Be Rebuilt

Category: History / Transylvania / Căpâlna

Căpâlna, a Dacian Fortress About to Be RebuiltThe Dacian fortress of Căpâlna poses one of the greatest challenges for Romanian restorers. The fortress, part of UNESCO’s heritage, is going to be rebuilt, thanks to a five million Euros project, financed by the European Union. The Dacian fortress walls will be restored two millennia after they were destroyed by the Roman army. Local authorities promise that these walls will be entirely rebuilt. Also, the land on which the old fortification stands will be strengthened.
Article information
  • Views: 1586
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:51
27-02-2015, 14:51

The Costeşti - Blidaru: Dacia’s Strongest Fortification

Category: History / Transylvania / Costeşti-Blidaru

The Costeşti - Blidaru: Dacia’s Strongest FortificationThe south of Transylvania is home to the strongest fortification across the kingdom of Dacia. Most likely, the fortress was built in two successive stages during the reign of Burebista and Decebalus, to serve first as a defense against the Celts, then against the Romans. First, a tower-house was built on the hill, at the altitude of 705 meters, by one of the local aristocrats, before the reign of Burebista. This king ruled between 82 and 44 BC and was assassinated in the same year as his great rival, Julius Caesar.
Article information
  • Views: 743
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:37
27-02-2015, 14:37

Valea Viilor or the Treasure of Saint Peter

Category: History / Transylvania / Valea Viilor

Valea Viilor or the Treasure of Saint PeterA remote village lost among the sunny hills of southern Transylvania hides a real treasure. It is the church of St. Peter in the village of Valea Viilor (Vine Valley). The story of the village begins in 1263, when the settlement was first documented. The village, colonized by Transylvanian Saxons, gathered serfs and peasants, subjects of the nobleman Apafi, who in 1305 left the village heritage to his son, Gregor. In the fourteenth century, Valea Viilor was a thriving community that decided to demolish the old Romanesque church, built by the early settlers, and instead build a new church in the Gothic style, dedicated to St. Peter.
Article information
  • Views: 845
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:34
27-02-2015, 14:34

Voroneț – The Sistine Chapel of the East

Category: History / Moldova / Voroneţ

Voroneț – The Sistine Chapel of the EastOne of Moldavia’s monasteries is so beautiful that art historians compared it to the Sistine Chapel. We are talking about the Voroneţ monastery, built by Prince Stephen the Great, proclaimed saint of the Orthodox Church, at the request of another Orthodox saint, Dani Hermit, the ruler’s advisor. At the heart of Voroneț lies a relatively modest-sized church, dedicated to St. George, which was built in 1488 in just three months and three weeks, a record for that time. Between 1488 and 1785, Voronet operated as a friary. After the monastic settlement was closed, the local parish took over the church. In 1991, the monastic life resumed as a convent for nuns.
Article information
  • Views: 1172
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:28
27-02-2015, 14:28

Viscri – The White Church of Prince Charles of Great Britain

Category: History / Transylvania / Viscri

Viscri – The White Church of Prince Charles of Great BritainThe Viscri village in Braşov County has a touching story. The village founded by the Saxons in the Middle Ages almost became a ghost town under the rule of communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Fortunately, the village was revived due to the help of His Royal Highness, Prince Charles of Wales, heir to the Crown of the United Kingdom.
Article information
  • Views: 2697
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:22
27-02-2015, 14:22

Suceviţa or the Legend of the Sinful Woman

Category: History / Moldova / Suceviţa

Suceviţa or the Legend of the Sinful WomanThe legend of the founding of Suceviţa monastery says that all the stone required to raise the imposing structure was carried by a single woman and her oxen-drawn chariot for 30 years, in an attempt to redeem her sins. However, in reality, the monastery was founded by one of the most important aristocratic families in Moldova, Movilă, which gave the Moldavian and Wallachian people rulers, as well as Bishops for Moldova and Kiev.
Article information
  • Views: 775
  • Author: admin
  • Date: 27-02-2015, 14:19
27-02-2015, 14:19

Prejmer, the Fortress-Church of the Teutonic Knights

Category: History / Transylvania / Prejmer

Prejmer, the Fortress-Church of the Teutonic KnightsPrejmer is one of the few fortifications established by the Teutonic Knights, a crusading order, founded in the Holy Land, in the city of Accra, at the end of the twelfth century. In 1212, following the expulsion of the Crusaders from the Middle East, as a result of the Muslim conquest of the Holy Land, the Teutonic Knights were invited by King Andrew II of Hungary to take possession of the Bârsa Land, in south-east of Transylvania, and fight the Cuman and Mongol pagans.
^